Saturday, April 16, 2011

have a nice day

I am so upset by the mean-spirited comments and tirades hurled across the online quilting community these days. I really am, but somehow I cannot stop reading. You can bounce off one blog over to another effortlessly and almost endlessly to hear the criticisms aimed at "modern" quilters and their creations. It's not just in the quilting community of course. Sadly, this is typical behavior among humans across the board....the judgement. How we dress, how we parent, where we choose to buy groceries....it's all up for judgement from our peers. Such is life I suppose, but I do not like it.

Here's the thing people. If you can't say anything nice, then shut the hell up! It's time to be a grown-up and show just a little restraint with your mouth. Nothing good comes from posting a bunch of negative commentary about the aesthetic value of someone's work. It's not just the blogger's words getting that negative vibe out there, it's all the comments following in which a cheerleader of the blogger adds a few, often dirtier, digs at the poor recipient of the judging.

Let's keep it classy out there people. Check your ego and your heart before you get out of bed in the morning. Having your "dander up" and spewing ugliness out across your blog is not very attractive. Hey, we all have our opinions...I could certainly list all the quilts I think are ugly, but who cares what I think? That is just so middle school to spout off ridicule and make a person feel bad. Fortunately, there are way more friendly peeps out there than mean ones, but to you bullies out there I say let's build each other up, let's root for each other, let's be respectful. It's like we were taught in preschool...be nice and play well with others!

No comments: