Sunday, May 9, 2010

accomplished

It's official...I.am.a.quilter!


It's quite an accomplishment, though I feel a little embarrassed at how excited I am. My first completed quilt...yay!


Finally doing something in my sewing studio that will benefit my family...gotta keep my peeps warm and cozy!


This project was such a delight and I'm pretty pumped with the way she turned out...perfectly crinkled goodness! Showcasing Amy Butler prints from several collections, stunning gray Kona sashing, backed in Moda Bella white...joyful! I went with diagonal lines for the quilting with 3" between the lines...luckily I liked the way 3" spacing looked since that's the width of the only sewing ruler I have thus far. Of course I used my trusty walking foot for the quilting and easily followed along my lines of disappearing purple ink.
























2 bits of wisdom I can offer the 1st time quilter:

  • tape all the layers down on the kitchen floor and then safety-pin it until you can barely see any fabric between the pins. You'll know you've done enough taping and pinning when your legs, hips, and back feel like they're on fire.
  • only draw a few lines of disappearing ink at a time...you know why?

To celebrate the completion of my 1st quilt I will be hosting a little giveaway this week. If you or someone you know loves Amy Butler fabric designs you just might want in on this...details later.





















Now I'm off to get cozy with my gorgeous quilt on this blustery Mother's Day...hubby took the ducklings out for frozen yogurt so it's just me and my beloved quilt!

Have a super blessed Mother's Day friends!


17 comments:

Practical Crafter said...

Oh haha. I thought you said i am a quitter. Now I know it's quilter. Btw, nice web design ;]

NebraskaViews said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn said...

Looks good Angie - very pretty

Jenny said...

congratulations on a job well done! i love the quilting you did on this!

Steph said...

I love the fabrics you chose! It looks great and now you won't be able to stop!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

I skipped over here from seeing your gorgeous quilt on fresh modern quilts. I love your blog. It's so funny and really pretty too. I love your quilt as well and the story of your bad morning. It makes me feel so much better when other people are real too - sometimes people in blogland seem to live in an unreal world or perfection and yours really made me laugh - much more like my world! I'm now a follower.

Marianna said...

Happy Mothers Day! And congratulations on your first quilt. The quilt is lovely and you did a good job. I wish you and your family many more quilts to come;)

Tangos Treasures said...

Yippie!! Your quilt came out very pretty!
Congratulations quilter!!

Angela said...

thanks for all your kind comments and for reading my ramblings! Have an awesome day guys!

Sandra said...

Congratulations on your first finish. Nice job!

Stephanie said...

WOW, that's your first quilt?! Great job!! It's beautiful and your hard work has paid off. Nothing better than seeing your loved ones under one of your quilts.

Stephanie said...

I just tweeted about your giveaway, thanks for the great opportunity!

Petra said...

LOVE this quilt!! Just saw it on flickr and had to come over to comment, it is wonderful!! And I can totally relate to the "I am a quilter!"-excitement... ;)

Megan said...

The quilt turned out perfectly Angela! And your kids look so proud! I'll look forward to seeing all the quilts your new addiction will churn out. Welcome to the world of quilting!

One Flew Over said...

Congratulations on finishing your first quilt! You have done a wonderful job, it looks beautiful x

sewtakeahike said...

perfection Angela! the layout, the binding, the fabrics, and especially the quilting! I love it!

Jodi said...

Wonderful first quilt - I love your fabric selections! I finished mine about two months ago and still consider myself a beginner, but am having a blast!